Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Five (?) Senses

I un-learned something today. I'd thought it true since childhood, but once I did un-learn it, it was plainly obvious. Thanks to the interestingly-titled "Book of General Ignorance" I now have a different answer to a question which I thought quite settled.

Quick! How many senses are there? List them!


I'll wait...



Are you done?



OK. You probably got the same five I had. Apparantly, there's at least four more: sense of heat; sense of where your limbs are, even when your eyes are closed; sense of pain; sense of balance.

I'm sure the sense of taste is maybe the easiest to advertise for, and also provides some easy fodder for humor: strange names, strange menus, strange ideas, and even good ideas poorly executed are all sources of humor.


I would also wonder if emotions might be considered a tenth sense. If so, here's one company's idea of how one sense (taste), and help another sense...




Enjoy your day!

3 comments:

  1. Isn't the sense of heat somewhat the same as the sense of touch? I would think that the same 'sensors' would sense both things... same with pain maybe?

    Ah wait I remembered another... a sense of humor! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if memory can be considered a sense?

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, any science-types reading that can respond to Kelly's question? It makes a lot of sense to me, but what do you think?

    ReplyDelete